How to Get a California Driver's Permit
Remember the 3 Ps to Getting Your Permit: Prepare. Provide. Pass!
- Must be between the ages of 15½ and 18.
- Complete approved CA driver education or enroll in driver education/training program.
- Complete the application form DL 44. Must be the original form with your parents' or guardians' signatures.
- The DMV encourages you to make an appointment at the DMV office for faster service.
- Bring the required forms.
- Submit your driver ed certificate (or driver training enrollment forms) to the DMV.
- Provide your social security number.
- Verify your birth date and legal presence with the appropriate documentation.
- Provide your true full name if your name no longer matches the name on your birth date legal presence document.
- Give a thumb print.
- Have your picture taken.
- Pay a $33 application fee.
- Pass a vision exam.
- Pass a traffic laws and sign test. There are 46 questions. You have 3 chances to pass with a 39 out of 46 minimum score. If you are worried about passing or need a refresher take a look at our permit prep which includes DMV practice tests, insider tips for testing, videos and exam prep.