California DMV Required Forms
DL Form (for permit/license):
The California DMV does not provide this form online because it has to be an original. To obtain a DL 44 or DL 44C form, call DMV's Automated Telephone Service at 1-800-777-0133 to have a form mailed to you or visit your local DMV office to pick one up.
Birth and Legal Presence Form:
Please bring the original or a certified copy of 1 of the following. For a full list visit: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/dl_info.htm#BDLP.
- US Birth Certificate
- US Passport or US Passport Card
- US Military Identification Cards
- Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship
- Permanent Resident Card
- Temporary Resident Identification Card
- Canadian Passport/Birth Certificate
- Permanent Resident Re-entry Permit
- Employment Authorization Card
Social Security Number Form:
Please provide 1 of the following for SSN documentation.
- Social Security Card (cannot be laminated)
- Medicare card
- U.S. Armed Forces Identification Cards:
- Military separation document-DD 214
Exception to the SSN requirement:
If you are legally present in the US, but ineligible for an SSN, you are exempt from SSN requirements. However, you must still provide an acceptable birth date/legal presence document for any DL/ID card application OR provide a valid SSN.
Parent Teen Driving Guide (with driving log):
This downloadable guide contains a driving log to document the 50 hours of driving required for a provisional driver's license:
Parent/Teen Training Guide: http://apps.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl603/dl603.pdf